Saturday, 29 January 2011

Black Swan



On 28/1/11 I went to the cinema to watch Black Swan, starring Natalie Portman. The trailer was interesting and I had read somewhere that it was a psychological thriller which is my favourite thriller sub genre, so I decided to watch it.














The film is about a ballerina, Nina Sayers (Portman) desperate for the role of the lead, the Swan Queen, in the well-known play, 'Swan Lake'. A ballerina is needed to play both the delicate White Swan and the evil Black Swan. When she gets the role she is over the moon, unbeknownst to her, the stress of the role will lead her losing her senses. She starts off as delicate as the White Swan but she slowly loses her mind and begins to see things that are unreal, becoming more and more like the evil Black Swan. 

The film was fear-provoking, it tricks you into believing that something is real but then show us that it is merely her imagination. It does this so many times that eventually we cannot tell what is or isn't real. This questioning of reality is mainly caused by the false plateau's which are used several times throughout the film.

I enjoyed the film, it was thought-provoking, bizarre, sophisticated and it made me jump in many scenes. The camerawork was great, mainly handheld which increased suspense. It is a film that makes you question reality and does not impart you of any easy answers, even in the ending. I liked the way they presented Nina as a tortured soul trying to make professional and personal choices, these elements made it appealing and made Portman's performance a gripping one. I will intertextualize with this film and take certain elements for my groups thriller title sequence.




No comments:

Post a Comment